Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tres Chic TEAL TURBANS

I have to say my exposure to European women wearing turbans was when I first saw my Hungarian-speaking Hungarian-Slovak grandmother (who's grandmother Ludwiga von Schramek was Prostestant German, but her Catholic paternal Ambrozy side came from Italy, representing the Vatican! Her hubby, my Grandfather, was Czech Catholic.) with her clipped "mittel-Europa" accent sporting a pre-made turban, as she lounged in slacks, puffing on a cigarette, in that oh so European fashion... Needless to say, I never took to turbans - nor the smoking... Though I do make a pretty good Goulash...
A turban by Miuccia Prada
striped one from the late ’30s by Lilly Daché

The History of Turban Fashions for Ladies in Europe
Poiret can be credited with the completely new and flamboyant maharaja turban design. In 1907 Poiret was instrumental in setting a trend to conceal hair when he dressed his models in Directoire columnar styles and turbans. By 1910, turbans were all the rage for evening wear and lent an exotic eastern flair which had originated in the oriental fashion movements after the costumes worn by the Ballets Russe, designed and painted by Leon Bakst, who was also their Set Designer.

a drawing in the style of Poiret's turban of 1911.
more: http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_6_fashion_history_1900_1920.htm

and one in pink that is more like those sported by my Grandmother...

Self-Portrait of Leon Bakst in artist's smock and beret
and one of his designs for the Ballet Russes, Scheherazade...
and Shah Zeman...
well, never say never...maybe one Halloween...with peacock feathers adorning a teal colored turban...I'll be strutting my stuff... Right! ;-)

Update: I have acquired two turbans - one red and the other black, to which I have affixed brooches but not worn yet. Stay tuned...

No comments: